Skip Menu Navigation

​​​Project Safety & Environment

You do not have Acrobat Reader?

Click here

to download it​



Environment FAQs

1. What is an Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) and its significance?

An EIA is a process that involves predicting and evaluating the likely impacts of a project including cumulative impacts on the environment during construction, commissioning, operation and abandonment. It also includes designing appropriate preventive, mitigating and enhancement measures addressing these consequences to protect the environment and the community’s welfare.

EIA is designed to assist planning and decision-making and not to justify decisions that have already been made. A decision to adopt a particular project or program alternative should be based in the EIA report and other planning documents (e.g., feasibility study report).

2. What projects are covered by the EIA Study requirement?

All projects with significant environmental impacts are covered by this requirement taking into account the nature of the project and its potential to cause significant adverse environmental impacts and vice-versa and the sensitivity and vulnerability of environmental resources in the project area.

For detailed list of projects covered by the EIA Study requirement and the type of consequent document to be submitted, please refer to the Project Categorization Matrix – Environmental Guideline No. 18.

EIA Study shall only be conducted by an EHS Pre-qualified Consultant, kindly refer to FAQ No. 7 for further details.

3. What are the different types of Environmental Permits / No Objection Certificate (NOC) that needs to be secured and its applicability?

  • Harbor / Open Sea Discharge Permit - for project / activity disposing treated wastewater to the harbor or open sea
  • Irrigation Permit - for project / activity utilizing treated wastewater for irrigation purposes
  • Groundwater Discharge Permit - for project / activity which intends to remove and dispose or reuse underground water
  • Air Emission Permit - for project / activity utilizing process or fuel burning stacks with possible air emissions or air pollution control equipment
  • Permit to Cut and/or Relocate Trees - for project / activity which requires cutting / relocation of trees
  • Marine Mammal Related Activity Permit (Permit to Operate – Captive Marine Mammal Facility; Permit to Transport – Marine Mammal; Permit to Conduct Scientific Research – Marine Mammal; Permit to Export / Import – Marine Mammal) - for a specific activity, as described by the permit, which involves marine mammal
  • Aquatic Animal Related Activity Permit (Permit to Operate – Public Aquarium Facility; Permit to Transport – Aquatic Animal; Permit to Conduct Scientific Research – Aquatic Animal; Permit to Export / Import – Aquatic Animal) - for a specific activity, as described by the permit, which involves aquatic animal
  • NOC – Marine Area Management - for project which intends to manage a marine area with significant ecological value
  • Coral Translocation Permit - for project which intends to perform coral translocation activity
  • NOC – Dredging and Reclamation - for project which intends to conduct dredging and/or reclamation activity
  • NOC – Conditional Environmental Activity - for project which intends to conduct a certain activity, apart from those listed above and specified in other procedures, with significant environmental concern.

For details on how to secure the aforementioned environmental permits / NOCs, kindly refer to the Environment Department – Procedures tab of this website.

4. Where can I get the forms needed during application?​​

All forms are available for downloading at the Environment Department – Forms tab of this website.​​

Additionally, all Environmental Regulations, Guidelines, Procedures and all other related documents are available in this website.​​

5. Are there any fees to be paid prior to EIA, Environmental Permit / NOC or Pre-qualification / Accreditation approval?​​

A particular amount of application, review and/or approval fee, with amount specified in the Procedures and/or separate Tariff list, is required to be settled prior to issuance of any approval. Moreover, all transactions are required to pay the Knowledge Dirham fee.​​

6. If payment is to be made by cheque, to whom it shall be made payable?​​

Cheque shall be made payable to PCFC – Trakhees.​​

7. What type of service being provided by a third party needs to be pre-qualified / accredited by EHS – Environment Department?​​

The following scope of services is required to be pre-qualified / accredited:

  • Environmental Consultancy services which includes EIA, environmental site assessment, waste management studies and solutions, waste audit, air quality studies and modeling, soil and groundwater studies and marine and estuarine ecology studies, modeling and coastal management studies and solutions
  • Marine-related services which includes wild collector / trader and transporter of marine mammal or aquatic animal, aquatic animal – local fisherman / trader, transporter – corals for translocation, marine mammal or aquatic animal food supplier and marine mammal / aquatic animal facility cleaning services
  • Waste collection and transportation services for recyclable, hazardous and sewage wastes
  • Eco-Diving Operator

8. Can I acquire the services of a third party consultant / service provider which is not included in the list of pre-qualified / accredited Consultants / Service Providers?​​

No. EHS shall only acknowledge submissions from Companies included in the Pre-qualified / Accredited​ Service Providers.

List of Pre-qualified / Accredited Third Party Consultants / Service Providers – Third Party Agencies

9. If hazardous wastes have been generated, how should these wastes be disposed?​​

All hazardous wastes shall be disposed off to Dubai Municipality’s facilities. Application for approval for the disposal of hazardous wastes shall be coursed through DM’s online services. After which, EHS’ Initial Approval – Disposal of Hazardous Wastes should be secured. For further details on how to secure EHS’ Initial Approval – Disposal of Hazardous Wastes, kindly refer to the Environment Department – Procedures tab of this website.​​

10. Can we deal with CITES or other NGOs directly without the involvement of EHS?​​

Yes you can but in a limited manner. Clients can contact CITES and other NGOs to ask for general information as a knowledge base. However, when it comes to regulations and accreditations EHS has to mediate all transaction between clients and 3rd parties (including NGOs) within our jurisdiction. ​​

back to top